Innovative technology and services leader with extensive experience in both public and private industry. I focus on providing an exceptional end-user experience that combines modern technology, user centered design, and regulatory compliance.
Having worked in environments ranging from small start-ups to large federal agencies, I strive to bring an emphatic and focused mission to the teams I work with. My functional experience spans infrastructure, application development, IT service delivery, information security, cloud economics, network engineering, and integrations.
Director of Engineering, Business Technology
Slack Technologies, January 2019 - Present
- Scaled a small IT team in to a high-performance global organization with five engineering groups and broad responsibility for critical services across the company, including cloud infrastructure, network engineering, software engineering, endpoint management, and integrations development.
- Led executive relationships for all IT engineering efforts, including financial management, workforce planning, and information security. Identified opportunities and risks around delivering critical initiatives and provided assessments of technical efforts required for implementation.
- Established numerous regulatory compliance efforts, including SOX, ITGC, ITAR, FedRAMP Moderate, and FedRAMP High.
- Represented Business Technology efforts externally, including in executive customer briefings, external conferences, and media coverage.
Director, Corporate Engineering & Information Technology
Planet Labs, June 2015 - January 2019
- Directed application development, desktop support, and system administration teams, including budgeting, contract negotiations, architecture, and new development efforts for over 20 critical systems and services. Operational oversight of core infrastructure and policies.
- Managed global technical infrastructure, including leading build-out initiatives, network planning, security policies, and telecommunications strategy.
- Spearheaded technical evaluation of a large-scale cloud computing migration. Defined network security policies, organizational structure, and core infrastructure transition planning. Negotiated cost reductions, engineering support, and technical scope.
- Oversaw technology integration through two acquisitions, including due diligence review, security analysis, transition activities, and staffing. Led build-out of numerous global offices and teams.
- Engineered software to automate the issuance and deployment of SSL certificates, manage employee on-boardings and off-boardings, and create employee identification badges. Created a SAML-backed Single Sign-On platform to federate employee identity to all systems and contributed SAML integrations to numerous internal projects.
Product Lead & Developer
18F, June 2014 - June 2015
- Managed multiple teams of software developers, user experience designers, policy analysts, and visual designers working to architect digital experiences with federal agencies in the United States government. Responsible for initial business development, vision setting, project management, open data growth, and technical leadership.
- Developed frameworks for regulatory compliance of numerous application stacks and operating systems. Drafted guidelines for US Government-wide deployment of open source tooling and practices.
- Planned and executed large-scale deployments of web applications on Amazon Web Services, with a focus on high-availability and scalability. Coordinated with White House and Cabinet-level agencies on improving national roll-out plans for the Affordable Care Act, Title IX, and Federal Election Commission technology initiatives.
Presidential Innovation Fellow
The White House, June 2013 - June 2014
- Directed the largest open data release in the history of the FDA, including millions of pharmaceutical adverse event records, product recalls, and product labeling data via the agency’s first Application Programming Interface.
- Designed and released federal policy for the Department of Health and Human Services, including the FDA’s first open source development policy, open data public domain dedication, and data access terms of service.
- Managed FDA compliance and response to the Open Data Executive Order, Memorandum on Public Access to Scientific Research and Publications, and other White House and Department of Health and Human Services policy directives related to open government and public access to data.
Technology Strategist, National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Valador, Inc., January 2010 – June 2013
- Contributed to open government, open source, and open data efforts for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, including the implementation of NASA’s response to the Open Government Directive, Digital Government Strategy, and Open Government Partnership initiatives.
- Responsible for the development, launch, and a maintenance of NASA’s Open Data and Source Code initiatives, as well as numerous hackathons such as the International Space Apps Challenge and the National Day of Civic Hacking.
Skills and Expertise
Management and Leadership
- Experience managing large organizations with multiple responsibilities. Skilled at attracting and retaining high-caliber engineering talent.
- Familiar with multiple project and program management frameworks, including the Scaled Agile Framework, Scrum, and Lean.
- IT-focused financial and workforce planning/analysis, especially within large organizations.
Policy and Regulatory Frameworks
- Extensive experience maintaining compliance with the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Sat on the customer advisory board for the AWS GovCloud region.
- Knowledge of the compliance requirements for systems managed under the Federal Information Security Management Act, Paperwork Reduction Act, and FedRAMP.
- Expert in creating and maintaining IT policies and procedures in agile organizations.
Information Technology and Software Development
- Experienced developer, primarily with a background in Python and the Django web framework.
- Extensive cloud systems architecture experience, particularly with Amazon Web Services and the Google Cloud Platform.
- Familiar with modern configuration management frameworks, including Ansible, SaltStack, and AWS CloudFormation.
- Expertise in network and security controls, data management and lifecycle, and compliance auditing/logging.
Bachelor of Arts, Public Policy, Magna Cum Laude